ELVAlliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

missing things

+2
Uriah Heep
DevilsOwn
6 posters

Go down

missing things Empty missing things

Post  DevilsOwn Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:56 am

over in the joke thread Cru said she missed us guys... well, I miss her, too, and it's only been a coupla days since I saw her!

got me to thinking about other things I miss, so I'm gonna start this reminiscing thread

Very Happy

I miss shoe stores.

The kind of shoe store where you walked in, grabbed a new pair of socks or peds, sat in a chair and a man came over with the foot measuring device (and it was always a man, never saw a shoe saleslady) and moved the little sides around and made sure your foot was seated on the device properly and then walked in the back ~ after you had said "I like that pair!" ~ and came back and helped you cram your foot into the new shoe.

yeah, I miss shoe stores
DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn

Location : Legends... sometimes Skara Brae, sometimes Grimswind Ruins

Back to top Go down

missing things Empty Re: missing things

Post  Uriah Heep Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:46 pm

I miss full service Sad

Remember pulling into the gas station, the guy would come out and fill up your tank, wipe your windshield, check your oil, take your cash/card back inside, and bring your change back?
And a glass!! Or a coaster, or something, just to make ya feel like you meant something as a customer Wink

After 6-8 trips, you had a set of something! cheers

Plus, those of us that *were* those guys that did that, we were always able to get a set of whatever it was that month! lol! Hey, don't laugh, those dishes got me thru two years of college!

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  DevilsOwn Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:55 pm

yeah, y'see?? another thing I miss, my Shell steak knives!
DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn

Back to top Go down

Post  Danse Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:48 am

I miss Whip-poor-wills...I can remember as a kid sitting on my aunts porch in rural Mississippi and listening to them call as the sun set...and bobwhites... Wink

And going barefoot in the summer..feeling the fine dust between my toes..and after a good rain...the squishy mud...*sighs* tongue

Danse

Back to top Go down

Post  DevilsOwn Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 am

I've lived my whole life right here, never ten miles away from where I sit at this moment..

I've heard one whip-poor-will ever... early evening up at Split Rock Reservoir. Spent a lot of time up there before and after I heard that one call, but only that one time did I hear it.

We used to go to Cape May, out on the point, for vacation when the girls were small. One of the houses provided bikes, and while out on a back road one day where I had stopped to take in the smell of a freshly harvested bean field, the bob-white called in the bushes.

Just once for each of those birds.. makes it that much sweeter, and sadder.
DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn

Back to top Go down

Post  DebconLady Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:14 pm

The Boys work at the Shell Station do you want a case of the lil towels they were handing out last month? They look like, what were those things called you took a shower with before there were the *puffs* we use now? Wash Cloths.....I have even heard them referred to as "Wash Rags." Well anyway, that's what they look like and a cheap version of them too boot!
DebconLady
DebconLady

Back to top Go down

Post  DebconLady Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Ever hold a buttercup up to your chin to see if you like butter?

How about blowing those things that the dandilions<sp> turn into?

Have you asked anybody lately if they have a deck of cards? They look at you like your a dinosour! Seems playing solitaire on the computer is much more funner *smiles*
DebconLady
DebconLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Nice memories on the quail Very Happy

Had a covey or two of em on our place for decades!! I used to love to sit in the backyard and talk to em, they would do their thing, and I could almost duplicate it whistling. I would sit under the big Sycamore tree and we would carry on quite a conversation.

Yeah, goods times those, and relaxing!

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm

And as for the missing things...
I was gonna say Deb!! But she's posting heheheheh
*winks*

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  Danse Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Sunday drives after church and stopping at the Tropical Freeze for Papaya Ice Cream..or a coconut shake..(made from REAL coconut milk!)

Fishing from the bank of a 'cow' pond...thinking you had the BIG ONE...and ends up being a snapping turtle!!

Dirt clod fights.....

and this is something I get to see everyday...the wonder on the faces of some of the kids I haul to school...when we see wild deer or turkeys in a field...I LOVE those OOHS and AHHS Makes feel like I am watching God smile...

Sometimes it is the most simple things that make us remember who is in charge... Very Happy

Danse

Back to top Go down

Post  DebconLady Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 am

AMEN Danse!
DebconLady
DebconLady

Back to top Go down

Post  DebconLady Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 am

Uriah Heep wrote:And as for the missing things...
I was gonna say Deb!! But she's posting heheheheh
*winks*

I miss you too darlin!! (((hugs)))
DebconLady
DebconLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Great thread here! What happened to sitting on the front porch? That is where my Grandmother went every night after dishes.

I miss flower gardens, and the lady that was not mad when I, as a 4 year old, picked all of her tulips for my grandmother.

I miss my grandmother.

ohhh and my Aunt Tillie's butternut cake with butternut frosting. Do you now how much work it takes to get butternuts?

I miss...and still insist on..glass glasses. Does anyone remember the jewel colored aluminum tumblers? Those were cool and everything seemed colder and better in them.

Admin
Admin

https://elv-alliance.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Danse Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 pm

*sighs*

There are so many things to remember....someday I will remember this too.....

I found this somewhere...don't remember where or even if I have it all right..

I remember butterfly kisses...
I remember a baby's laugh..
I remember mom's hugs...
I remember daddy's hands, strong and gentle or firm, as the need arose...

That is all I can recall of this but it went on and on...

Danse

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:34 pm

sounds like a country song...
and if it aint, it should be Smile

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  DevilsOwn Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 am

I used to read The Reader's Digest religiously.. cover to cover.. and Danse, you reminded me of a story there long ago

The title, I believe, was My Father's Hands, and it spoke of the strengths and weaknesses of the man, and reminded me so very much of my own father. One memory she had of her dad was finding him, one night after dinner, standing in the kitchen distraught. He had wanted to give the family a treat of canned peaches for dessert and had, instead, opened a can of potatoes. Her father, who could fix anything, move any mountain, was stymied by his inability to read. The potatoes pictured on the can looked like peaches, you see.

All of her memories of her father were of strength and love, tho the tale ended sadly. As he grew older he developed a heart condition for which he was prescribed nitro pills. The attack that killed him may have been avoided, but the pharmacy had put a child resistant cap on the bottle and he could not read the instructions for opening it. He was found in the back yard, and the little bottle of pills nearby under a rock he had apparently been attempting to smash it with. Her father's strong hands could not conquer that little bottle.

The thing I took away from that story is to never take anything for granted, even the smallest.
DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn

Back to top Go down

Post  Danse Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am

You are so right!

We should value each day like it was our last..and never be afraid to tell someone..even a stranger.... that you love them..and that they are valuable just because..

Never be in such a rush that we do not smile at everyone we meet..for we never know when we shall see them again in this life.

I have many regrets that I have not followed these rules daily...I hope we never have to face these regrets again.

Danse

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Fri May 01, 2009 2:51 pm

and never be afraid to tell someone..even a stranger.... that you love them..

Every time i do that, I get my face slapped and the police show up! No Embarassed Sad affraid

Sorry for the derail but ya knew someone had to do it... I love you

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Sat May 02, 2009 12:44 pm

things I miss...

DevilsOwn!!! Sad Crying or Very sad

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  DevilsOwn Mon May 11, 2009 4:09 pm

and I'm currently missin' all you guys.. hope everyone had a great Mother's Day

I love you
DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 am

I hope you did too! Im sure the little ones enjoyed their day.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DebconLady Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 pm

And a Happy Mothers Day to you too Sis......and Jen! And all you Moms out there!

Love you (((hugs)))
DebconLady
DebconLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonquil Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:23 pm

When growing up in Upstate NY, my parents would gather all three kids up on a Sunday and take us to "harvest" the fruit of the season. This usually entailed half a day spent picking blackberries, blackcaps and rasberries along the railroad track, blueberries in the sand dunes, etc. Each of us would have to fill one container with the "fruits" of our labors before we could go home and have the rest of the weekend for ourselves. At the time of course, (about 7 years old til 18), it was yet another chore that we HAD to do before given our time. When we got home, Mom and Dad would clean and prepare the berries. Mom would always reserve enough of the fruit to make a cobbler or dessert for that night. It wasn't until my mother passed, that I realized just how much I missed it.

I was married, with three children of my own by then, living in Texas. We flew to NY the weekend before she passed, said our goodbyes. My father always loved the woods, and at my suggestion, took us all on a trek in the woods behind his home. My sons, being "growing" boys, wanted to take some snacks with them for when they got hungry. I assured them that with Grandpa there, they would not be hungry. No sooner than reaching the edge of the woods, my Dad found a scrub/crab apple tree, picking a couple he handed one to each boy and proceeded into the woods. The walk took us approximately an hour and a half. In which time, the boys experienced the nutrition and taste of wild onions, carrots, mint, apples, beechnuts, berries and yes... even birch/maple twigs. When we got home, I asked what everyone wanted for supper, surprisingly enough, both boys said they were too full to eat. It was the first and only time the boys enjoyed an outing like that. Still after 15 years, they can recall parts of it and relish the memory, almost as much as I do.

Jonquil

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Glad to see you on the forums! What a great story! I am sure everyone will enjoy it as much as I have.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Excellent story indeed!

Sad that nature is vanishing at the speed it is, glad they got to experience some of it.

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down