ELVAlliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now I realize just how old I am :(

5 posters

Go down

Now I realize just how old I am :( Empty Now I realize just how old I am :(

Post  Uriah Heep Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Pulled a half day of vacation today, had some stuff to do around here that I been neglecting. So, I'm sitting around a few hours after I got home, relaxing, and this dang telephone is ringing and ringing! The thing rings every 5 minutes!! For the wife, for one or the other of the kids, someone confirming a dr's appointment, geeez!
And I just shook my head, these peeps would break their necks running to answer it and see who it was and who it was for.

And it made me think, I am old.
Old enough to remember not running to answer the phone like that.

Y'all old enough to remember when the phone rang and no one moved on the first ring? Suspect Ya had to listen, and see what kinda ring it was. If it rang one long ring, it was yours...two short burst, it was the neighbors Razz
Party lines, and all that...Life was simple Cool

Oh yeah, and there were no computerized telemarketers interrupting everything you were trying to do.

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Now I realize just how old I am :( Empty Re: Now I realize just how old I am :(

Post  Admin Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:46 am

I do remember that! I also remember when you HAD to get up to answer the phone and could not have it on the couch beside you. You could not look and see who was calling, or monitor the answering machine. Or when you had to get calls at home because you could not chat on the cell all the way home ! *sigh*

It has become a joke to get messages on the machine from the grown kids..Mom..where are you..Im kinda freaked out cause I cant get a hold of you. I'm looking for my famillllllllllllllllllllly!!!!!!!!!!!! They take turns trying to out do each other. Reality is..that with cells and work freedom, and us being home alot it is very rare that they cannot reach us at will.

Admin
Admin

https://elv-alliance.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DevilsOwn Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:37 am

when I was very little we lived in Mount Tabor.... at the foot of the stairs was THE phone (nobody had more than one) and the number for that phone was 316M ...... party line, yes

eventually the phone company needed more numbers, so the the next phone number I remember is JEfferson 8 - 3848.... the exchanges were all words, there was OAkwood and DEerfield nearby, and what you dialed was the first two letters of the name

a month or so ago I saw a truck from Morristown with the old Jefferson number still printed on the side... I'm sure that confuses a lot of younger people Wink
DevilsOwn
DevilsOwn

Location : Legends... sometimes Skara Brae, sometimes Grimswind Ruins

Back to top Go down

Post  Danse Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:26 pm

THE PHONE! When I was growing up my grandmom had onE that had a crank...I was never allowed to pick it up...it was a 'party' line....NOT knowing WHY I was NOT to pick it up...(wait for it... wait...) I would pick it up...MAN O MAN!!!!! THE THINGS MY LITTLE EARS HEARD...*Laughs* The then I would run to the first person I would see and repeat...WORD FOR WORD...*WINKS*.......and then wonder...WHY AM I GETTING THE SNOT SLAPPED OUTTA ME...I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!

Took me a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time to understand what happened! Shocked Embarassed Wink affraid

Danse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonquil Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Ok, here I am Really aging myself.... nickel Nestles candy bars.. big ones. I remember sitting in the car as my dad pumped his own gas, complaining it was at 33 cents a gallon, and pretty soon he wouldn't be able to get 2 gallons for a dollar at that rate. 10 cent public phones, 13 cent stamps... just to name a couple!

Jonquil

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 pm

How about the coke machine that gave you green bottles of ice cold coke for a dime!

oh yeah..nickel candy bars : ) Three Muskateers.

Admin
Admin

https://elv-alliance.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Uriah Heep Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:12 pm

I remember sitting in the car as my dad pumped his own gas, complaining it was at 33 cents a gallon,

heheh that aint old.
I remember gas at 29 cents, and I pumped it for ya!!! And...
washed the windows, checked the oil, tires, wiper blades, you name it.
Unless you wanted a bathroom break, you never had to get outta the car!

sheeesh

I miss those days Sad

Uriah Heep

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum